2008年7月3日星期四

Identity Crisis: Chinese American or American Chinese?

July 4th is here.
Time for fireworks.
Hooray,
Happy Birthday, USA!

Being a proud American citizen,
Still I don't know who I really am.
In my middle life,
I am in an identity crisis.

With 100% Chinese blood in me
But I am an American citizen.

I am now 44
My life is split in half.
Born and raised first 22 years in China
Went to school, got a job, strated own family
The second half here.

Speaking English at work
Talking Chinese with family
Eating rice with chopsticks
With fork and knife I gulp down porkchops.

Playing Ping-Pong and tennis
in spare time
Going to mountains and beaches
on vacation
Watch PBS and ABC
But no CNN or CCTV

Celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas
Giving kids red envelopes
on Chinese New year.

Am I Chinese?
Am I American?
Am I half and half
Chinese American
or American Chinese
or Americanized Chinese?

I speak English with Chinese accent
I am holding a USA passport with a Chinese name

I care more about what's going on Wall Street
Also try to keep an eye on Tianmen Square

Am I a Chinese soul
in an American body?
But my body is obviously Chinese.

So am I a Chinese body
with an American soul?

I am who I am
Confused
with a split personality.

Happy Birthday, USA!
Fireworks, HOORAY!!!

没有评论: